Monday, May 25, 2015

Favorites of 2014- Gone Girl


Gone Girl (2014)
Starring: Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Neil Patrick Harris
Directed by: David Fincher


Plot Summary: On the day of his fifth wedding anniversary, Nick Dunne returns home to find his wife Amy missing. Being the inspiration for the popular Amazing Amy children's books, Amy's disappearance receives heavy media coverage. Nick begins to display strange behavior that has many suspecting that he murdered Amy. Evidence continues to turn up that make Nick look even more guilty, including proof of financial troubles, a journal that discusses domestic disputes and Amy's constant fear of Nick, and a medical report concluding that Amy was pregnant when she went missing. With Nick also having an affair with one of his students for over a year and planning to divorce Amy on the morning she went missing, things could not look worse for him as the investigations continue. As the clues begin to unravel, Nick must prove his innocence and solve what happened to Amy.


I very vividly remember not knowing much about Gone Girl when it first came out, but being excited to see it all the same. For starters, it's directed by David Fincher, who has provided three instant favorites of mine (Se7en, Fight Club, and The Social Network). Plus, it stars the likes of Ben Affleck (whom I would've been complaining about 10 years ago like everyone else would, but he's since redeemed himself to be a credible actor and filmmaker) and Neil Patrick Harris (who was one of my favorite characters on one of my all-time favorite shows, How I Met Your Mother). The trailers that I had seen painted a compelling mystery that I needed to have solved, a perfect marketing strategy to get people into the theater. While it was based on a bestselling book, I hadn't read it, nor did my research, so I was going into this movie on opening day having no idea what was coming. And boy have I never been happier to walk into a movie with complete ignorance. Gone Girl was an absolutely mind-blowing movie for me to watch. The twists and turns it takes had my questioning the truth and sanity of all its main characters, and I knew when it was over that I had a modern favorite on my hands. So, then fast forward to Oscar season, and this film only had ONE nomination. I felt like there was a great injustice dealt to this film, and it deserved the praise of being nominated for many more awards, including Best Picture. So what do I have to say about the film's strengths that the Academy wouldn't acknowledge?

Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike star as Nick and Amy Dunne. Honestly, it's really hard to talk about these two characters without discussing the major twists that happen in their character development. I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, but trust me when I say they both go through some things that will have you changing your perceptions about them. They both start out as a charming couple, and depending on whose point of view you are watching the film through, you can see different problems for both of them. Nick's development is all through current time in the wake of Amy's disappearance, and a lot of Amy's are through flashbacks and journal entries. Each paints a different perspective that doesn't match up with their spouse's, creating a debate on the viewer to choose which side they believe. But at the end of the day, BOTH of these people are messed up, and they technically "deserve" each other after all they've said and been through.

As if the two leading actors didn't give strong enough performances, Gone Girl has a tremendous supporting cast. This film did two things I never thought I could see: it made me creeped out by Neil Patrick Harris, and it made me interested in something done by Tyler Perry. Harris plays Desi Collings, one of Amy's ex-boyfriends who has a history of being obsessed with Amy. He becomes an easy prime suspect for anyone watching, and the way he looms in the scenery feels something completely unexpected for the man behind the beloved Barney Stinson to do. Although, he still knows how to wear nice suits. As for Perry, he plays the charismatic attorney Tanner Bolt. The man has a great eye for representing his clients, and knows what can make or break Nick's public image. He serves as the much needed dose of logic and reality that Nick could've used at the beginning of the investigation, while his zingers also help bring some much needed humor to this overall dark and twisted narrative.

But the great performances don't end there. There's also Carrie Coon, who plays Nick's twin sister Margo. Margo also adds humor, but in the more sarcastic and serious manner you would expect a sibling to display in this type of situation. And leading out the cast is Kim Dickens as Detective Rhonda Boney, the lead investigator on Amy's disappearance. She's a fascinating character who is both an ally and enemy of Nick's depending on how the investigation unfolds. Her main loyalty is justice, so she will go at any lengths to find Amy and prove whether Nick is innocent or guilty.

Like many great plot twists, Gone Girl has one I could never spoil for anybody. I made a vow the day I saw it that I wouldn't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, because I experienced something magical in that theater as the plot unfolded. Movies that are able to have that effect on you are special, and that's what this film was for me. You could hear tons of gasps from people watching, as they were completely shocked by every plot twist and really didn't know what was going to happen next. I wish there was more I could say, but trust me when I say this is a mystery worth watching for the actual experience of it.

The fact that Gone Girl didn't do so well during Oscar season is an absolute crime. From the strengths of the two leads, to the memorable supporting performances, to the decisions director David Fincher is known for, to the shocking plot developments occurring throughout the movie, this film deserved MUCH more than what it was nominated for at the Oscars. While Pike deserved the nomination for Best Actress, there is so many other categories Gone Girl should've qualified for. Just to name a few: Original Screenplay, Production Design, Original Score, Best Supporting Actor (from either Harris or Perry), Best Supporting Actress (from either Dickens or Coon), and Best Picture. In a year where I saw tons of memorable movies, this is the one that I would consider the most underrated. It came and people were excited, but when other films came out, it was easily placed aside. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this became a film that survives and grows a stronger following over time.


Rating: 4.5 out of stars

Like some of my other favorites from David Fincher, Gone Girl is a film that commands all of my attention and begs repeated viewings for years to come. The performances from the cast, and the insane twists and turns the film takes makes it one that should be watched at least twice, just maybe not with the family or on the first date.

Gone Girl and movie images are copyrighted by 20th Century Fox

No comments:

Post a Comment