Saturday, October 19, 2013

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die- The Exorcist


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Exorcist_ver2.jpg#592- The Exorcist (1973)
Starring: Ellen Burstyn, Jason Miller, Max von Sydow
Directed by: William Friedkin


Plot Summary: In Northern Iraq, archeologist and priest Father Lankester Merrin discovers that Pazuzu, a powerful demon has returned to this world. Pazuzu possesses the body of a young girl named Regan McNeil, the daughter of actress Chris McNeil. Concerned for her daughter's life, Chris goes to young priest Damien Karras, who has recently lost his faith in God, for help and it is up to Karras and Merrin to perform an exorcism and expel the demon out of Regan's body.


Before the '70s, most horror films had to be out for a while before gaining popularity through what most movie buffs call a "cult following." Yet, here comes a film like The Exorcist that is considered a financial and critical success, gets nominated for numerous film awards and is often referred to as the scariest film of all time. With so many horror films out there, it's hard for me to say if I think it is the scariest of all time. But I will say that my most recent viewing of The Exorcist does help me understand why so many others were frightened and horrified with the film when it was released 40 years ago.

http://planetill.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/exorcist.jpgThroughout the month, we've looked at vampires, werewolves and zombies, but in The Exorcist, our monster is a little girl as a demon possesses the body of Regan McNeil, played by Linda Blair. We're made to like Regan thanks to her scenes with her mother Chris, played by Ellen Burstyn. I don't think any audience member would say this girl deserves what's happening to her and we would like to see her get help, but from a distance. Regan is really made to suffer and Blair does an amazing job of seeming helpless as Regan, and downright mean and scary as playing Regan when she's possessed by the demon Pazuzu (yes, I know that name sounds a bit silly).

In order to save Regan, she must have an exorcism, performed by Father Lankester Merrin and Father Damien Karras, played by Max von Sydow and Jason Miller respectively. I think when most people think of the exorcism scene, most remember von Sydow as Merrin, but he's actually only the film for the first and last bits of the film. The priest we follow for most of the film is Karras, who I think was the most interesting character as he plays a man of God who has lost his faith. You see scenes of Damien with his elderly mother that really help humanize him and when he speaks on his beliefs, he is able to draw empathy from the audience.

For a film that came out 40 years ago, it is a film to marvel at for its innovative and often shocking effects. From the shaking bed, to the spider-walk, to Regan's slow transformation as Pazuzu possesses her, each effect bends reality for the audience. I know many times I had to remind myself that the girl was not really possessed, that it was wire work for levitation scenes, or mechanics for the bed, or makeup for the demon. There are many times in films where I am a bit of a snob at pointing out obvious special effects (see my review of Avatar), so when a film comes along and actually has me in amazement of the effects, that's quite a compliment to the film.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEieYv1fUFdLwfYf95glv6muSEDmfjN3btztz0LvTJxGzGpCe-kHBc1B46nJtt5HEqkAf86e7sp4qpenV1VgzHusklrMOEI0VF080AVEKZUqJ7poxG_P-iv97qxsFOtD-WcpavwACFNm22k/s1600/exorcist-1-1.jpg
So, is The Exorcist the scariest film of all time? I don't think I'll go that far, but I will say as far as scary movies go, it is VERY well made and should be regarded as a classic and even a superior film in the horror genre. Upon my viewing, I could figure out what scared audiences 40 years ago. The film was controversial for its vulgar language, shocking visuals and, of course, using religion as a theme for a mainstream horror film. As an enthusiast for film analysis and discussion, that is why I really like this film, because it knew all the right lines to cross and was able to draw just as much controversy as it did critical acclaim, meaning whether you liked the film or didn't, you had an opinion about it.


Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

This horror classic is a great combination of groundbreaking practical and makeup effects with a powerful plot worthy of film discussion and debate from even the most conservative of viewers. I recommend that all fans of horror should see The Exorcist once, if you've got the stomach for it.

Comment below to share your thoughts on the movie or to discuss a topic that I left out of my review

The Exorcist and movie images are copyrighted by Warner Bros.

1 comment:

  1. I saw it in a packed theatre the day it came out. The grown man next to me screamed like a girl! People were crying, screams of terror filled the theatre.
    Personally? I went home immediately and burned my Ouija board. Truth!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete