Thursday, April 11, 2013

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die- Intro

I remember during my freshman year of college, I was in my local library and on display near the DVD department was a book, 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. I had grown up my entire life with a deep love for film and when I saw that book I said to myself, "That would be a fun goal. I just wouldn't know how to start."

http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/files/images/1001movies2006.jpg As I was starting my sophomore year, I thought checking out that book would be a cool thing to occupy my free time during the school year. There were many online versions of the book, but I was most intrigued by http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/?q=taxonomy/term/53/9 because it not only had the list, but also had a section for people to make their own reviews on the same movie, which served as the inspiration for this blog.

Fast forward a year, and I am now in the process of starting a film club for my college campus. Our plan with the club is to watch film, discuss it and develop a deeper appreciation for it. The heads of the film club would pick specific movies for specific genres that we would label as movies that "everyone needs to see."

When realizing that I needed to expand my horizons on film, I decided to check out the list and see how many on there I had seen before. After seeing how many I actually watched on the list, I realized I had a LONG way to go. So I decided to start as soon as possible.

The way I went about viewing movies on the list was that I would go into each movie with a fresh mind and see why it is on the list and if it deserves to be on the list. Also, there are more than 1001 movies on the list, 1103 to be exact, as the list gets updated on a yearly basis. I've seen quite a few on the list since starting, but I'm open to suggestions and recommendations from those who want to check out the list at the link above. 


Copyright 2013 Fowler's Film Blog. Images are owned by Quintessence Editions

1 comment:

  1. I am intrigued by your project. This could turn into a PhD dissertation if you go about it correctly!!
    Look at you being all awesome and stuff!!
    xoxoxo
    K-O

    ReplyDelete